# of Positions :
Minimum Education Level :
High School Diploma/GED
Experience Required :
Full Time Regular
First Shift (Day)
Hours per week:
Purpose of the Position
The position performs a variety of technical operations and exhibits exceptional quality and quantity. The Rackers position is a critical or key component in the success and the flow of the metal finishing operation. The top priority is to support the anodizing line in any way that they can. Works under general supervision. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
• Primary responsibilities include racking and un-racking parts to be processed on the automated anodizing line
• Prepare parts for racking, e.g., plugging holes
• Perform in-process manual rinsing and/or inspection route steps
• Responsible for validating order quantities against the production orders
• Inspects parts before and after being anodized to ensure that Thorlabs quality standards are being maintained
• Inspects parts for color uniformity and bleed out conditions and notifies operator of any issues
• Wraps or loads parts into trays for safe transportation to other Thorlabs locations
• Performs necessary maintenance of the anodizing racks to ensure quality will not be diminished
• Responsible for general maintenance such as sweeping, mopping, emptying trash cans, etc.
• Responsible for efficiently unloading trucks and storing hazardous materials safely
• Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
• Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
• Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. While performing the duties, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Harmful chemicals and chemical fumes are present in the building but systems and processes are in place to minimize or eliminate exposure.
• Minimum 1 year of experience in a maintenance shop or manufacturing environment.
• High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong sense of ethical conduct
• Strong ability to take initiative/ownership
• Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
• Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
• Strong sense of workplace safety
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
56 Sparta Avenue
Newton, NJ 07860
Job Posting Entered On :
Job Posting Expires On :