FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy(NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, anda regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Jersey Central Power and Light \[JCP&L\], a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The Communications Technician is responsible for the installation, testing, adjusting, troubleshooting, and repair of all telecommunications and electronic equipment associated with power system control, data acquisition, protective relaying, voice & data networks, security systems, wire line, fiber optic, and radio frequency technologies.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Troubleshooting ranges from system to component level.
-Repairing printed circuit boards, identifying and replacing faulty capacitors, resistors, diodes, transistors, integrated circuits, etc.
- Assisting in preparing maintenance procedures and evaluating test methods and test equipment.
- Preparing circuit drawings of some complexity from catalog information, manufacturers' documentation, engineering sketches, and 'as built' information as instructed.
- Conducting special studies and tests as required.
- Investigating and correcting customers' radio and television interference complaints.
- Performing distribution switching as required in unattended substations.
- Directing the work of others, including outside vendors and contractors, assigned to assist you.
- Performing routine clerical work, including field and time reports, and material requisitions.
- Must possess an FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG).
- Five (5) years minimum industry experience or other applicable experience and training in a similar type of work environment.
- Must demonstrate the ability to understand circuit level schematic drawings.
- Must demonstrate a relatively high degree of analytical ability, and exercise relatively independent judgment under direction.
- Must be able to perform a relatively wide variety of non-routine work.
- Must be familiar with the company's safety rules applicable to this and related jobs.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the company's electrical and mechanical tagging rules.
- Work is highly complex and varied. The highest grade of mechanical skill and dexterity is required.
- Good personal communications skills are required to support frequent intra-company and public contacts.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer
H-1B visas at this time.